Independent Pharmacist of the Year


By Kevin Schweers

When you consider all the contributions independent pharmacists make in this country, it’s never easy choosing just one to recognize for his or her exemplary leadership and commitment to independent pharmacy and to the community. Still, this year one stood out and his story is worth hearing (or hearing again).

Danny Cottrell of Brewton, Alabama’s The Medical Center Pharmacy was recognized as NCPA’s Willard B. Simmons Independent Pharmacist of the Year during the association’s recent 111th Annual Convention and Trade Exposition. The award is sponsored by Upsher-Smith Laboratories, Inc .

Earlier this year, Cottrell, with an assist from business partner Tom Henderson, implemented what NBC Nightly News dubbed a one-man stimulus plan by distributing $16,000 in $2 bills to his employees. They were told to spend 85% at local businesses and to give the remaining 15% to charity.

NBC Nightly News Story on Danny Cottrell

An Auburn University graduate, Cottrell purchased his first store in 1984 and is part-owner of 10 other stores. In addition to his NCPA membership, Cottrell also serves on the association’s PAC and Legislative committees. He is a prominent member of the Alabama Pharmacy Association, Alabama Medicaid Pharmacy Advisory Committee, the Kiwanis Club and the Brewton Development Authority. Cottrell has previously been honored for his work on numerous occasions, including the NCPA leadership Award, Drug Travelers Association King Courtesy Award, Wayne

For the record, Simmons was a long-time NCPA Foundation board member and retired NCPA executive secretary who exemplified outstanding leadership and commitment to independent pharmacy during his long career.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s




Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Search by Categories


Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 453 other followers

%d bloggers like this: